[Techtalk] Feeling like a newbie again:route

Michelle Murrain tech at murrain.net
Tue Oct 30 18:28:16 EST 2001

Hi Folks,

I'm feeling a bit sheepish, but I'll go ahead.

I've found myself in a pickle. At some point, (portsentry did this - it's a
long story) the route to my particular host (outside of the network) was
rejected using the following command:

"/sbin/route add -host $TARGET$ reject"

Where (I'm assuming) $TARGET$ = my current IP address.

However, when I look at the routing table:

  #route
Kernel IP routing table
Destination     Gateway         Genmask         Flags Metric Ref    Use Iface
192.168.1.0     *               255.255.255.0   U     0      0        0 eth0
127.0.0.0       *               255.0.0.0       U     0      0        0 lo

I've used route to do basic network setup, but I've never used it to reject
or block routes. I know that there are several routes that have been
blocked, and in pouring over the man pages, I can't seem to find a way to
list them.

Futher, I thought that the following command might work
:
#route add reinstate -host my.ip.address
reinstate: Host name lookup failure

(I have cable modem dynamic IP - but even if I put in my weird domain name,
I still get a host name lookup failure).

So, ye of great route wisdom, help!!

TIA!

.Michelle

Michelle Murrain, Ph.D.