[Techtalk] Journalling file systems.

Nils Philippsen nils at wombat.dialup.fht-esslingen.de
Mon Oct 29 11:14:01 EST 2001

On Sat, Oct 27, 2001 at 03:14:27PM +1000, Mary Gardiner wrote:
> On Sat, Oct 27, 2001 at 11:31:46AM +0800, Malcolm Tredinnick wrote:
> > Having the journal on a different partition if, I believe, not
> > necessary. You can just mount the ext3 partition as type ext2 and it
> > will be fine. When converting all my systems over to ext3, I ran tune2fs
> > on different partitions, remounted a few as ext3, played around a bit,
> > then rebooted. They came back as ext2 and nothing appeared to have been
> > corrupted. This gave me some confidence that I wasn't about to destroy
> > my system.
>
> :)
>
> I know it isn't compulsory to have the journal on a different partition,
> but it has been sold to me as a possible alternative, parlty because
> ext3 won't mount as ext2 if it wasn't cleanly unmounted
> (http://www.uow.edu.au/~andrewm/linux/ext3/ext3-usage.html, the
> "Switching" section).

I'm not anywhere near deep into ext3, but I'd say that it doesn't make a
difference whether the journal lies on the same or another partition --
if it isn't unmounted cleanly, it imost likely can't be mounted as ext2.

Nils
--
 Nils Philippsen / Berliner Straße 39 / D-71229 Leonberg // +49.7152.209647
nils at wombat.dialup.fht-esslingen.de / nils at redhat.de / nils at fht-esslingen.de