[Techtalk] Robust link checker?

David Merrill david at lupercalia.net
Mon Oct 15 20:05:45 EST 2001

On Mon, Oct 15, 2001 at 12:25:48PM -0400, Raven, corporate courtesan wrote:
> Heya --
>
> 	Posting a question for a friend of mine -- I couldn't help her,
> but I'm hoping someone else can.
>
> 	She has recently taken on Webmistress duties for a large and
> robust site (http://www.pbs.org).  She's looking for a link checker
> program that can run through the site and give her a list of broken
> links so that she can fix them.  The problem is, there are hundreds of
> thousands of links on the site, and all the programs she's tried so far
> have crashed, unable to handle a site of that size.
>
> 	Anyone have any favorites or recommendations for her?  It can
> run on either a Linux or a Windows platform.

There's linkchecker which is Python based. I don't know if it can
handle that volume, but I have heard several good reports on it.

Linux Documentation Project                   david at lupercalia.net

Microsoft does not like negative or even objective press coverage and they
have a tendency to be a bully about it. If something appears that they
don't like, they have the ability to punish the publication.
	--Knight-Ridder New Media President Bob Ingle