[Techtalk] Mutt Attachments display

Mary Gardiner linuxchix at puzzling.org
Sat Oct 13 23:46:26 EST 2001

On Fri, Oct 12, 2001 at 01:55:51PM -0400, Subba Rao wrote:
> Is there anyway to indicate mail with attachments in the index? My main concern
> is that, I believe, mail is sent with virus file attachments. My mailbox format
> is Maildir type. There are several files to scan for viruses. My IDS logs
> indicate that there are virus signatures from my ISP's POP server traffic. How
> can I display mail with attachments?

The index is set via the "set index_format" directive in your .muttrc

See the (incredibly comprehensive) mutt manual.txt for details on this
directive, but no, there is no option to flag a messge that has an
attachment in the mailbox.

Why must it be indicated in the index? Opening the mail shouldn't
activate the viruses, unless you've got some very comprehensive
auto_view settings in your .muttrc or the system's /etc/Muttrc

I'm still under the impression that most of the virii around today are
Windows specific, and afaik mutt doesn't have a Windows port, so you
should be safe enough, even opening them. Or are these Linux viruses of
some kind.

-Mary

--
Mary Gardiner