[Techtalk] new stuff

Wowy Wowy at worldnet.att.net
Fri Oct 12 22:57:23 EST 2001

I think that my favorite new piece of software is Cheops.  It's a
network mapping program that allows you to get a picture (literally) of
all the computers on your TCP/IP network, either in the form of a map or
in a list of computers (sorted by things like IP, OS, hostname and
others).  First you select a range of IP's for it to scan through, and
then it will go through each IP and make an icon for each computer it
finds.  It also uses Nmap to show what kind of computer (or anything
else on the network that has an IP, like a switch) it has found, so the
pictures correspond to the detected OS.  You can also right click on any
host that it's found and perform other actions on it (like scan it with
Nmap to show the open ports, or do a traceroute).  My network admin
friend and I used it to help us get a better idea of what computers were
on the network, and to see what IP's were taken (since there was very
poor record keeping for things like this at her place of work).  It does
take a little while for Cheops to finish it's scan of the network, but
after you're done you can save the results in a file so you can reload
it later without having to redo the whole scan (which took maybe 3-4
minutes for it to scan 250 IP's on one subnet).  The "view as map"
function looked really neat, but I don't know how to use Cheops well
enough to get it to place all of the computers as neatly as was done on
the picture on the Cheops website.  You can just move around the
pictures of computers yourself, but that's a little to much "manual
labor" for me.  ;-)  Anyway, I think this is a very handy program for
network admins, or anyone else that wants to have fun with their
network.  I guess you could also use it simply to see what computers on
your network are running, which seems quite useful to me.  Have fun with
it, but please no one use this for mean purposes (like scanning networks
you don't have permission to do so).
Rory

Oops, almost forgot to provide a link.  Here it is now...
Cheops Website:
http://www.marko.net/cheops/