Fwd: Re: [Techtalk] DHCPD Question

qubit rubyqubit at yahoo.com
Thu Oct 11 12:22:09 EST 2001

forgot to post to the list - thought someone might have something to add to
my vague theory...

Subject: Re: [Techtalk] DHCPD Question
Date: Thu, 11 Oct 2001 09:01:16 -0500
From: qubit <rubyqubit at yahoo.com>
To: "Kath" <kath at kathweb.net>

> 2nd Question:
> Say instead of deploying multiple DHCPD servers, I want one central server,
> but I would still like to be able to assign addresses depending on where
> the computer is.  Explanation:
>
> Marketing Office --->
> Customer Service Office --->
> Technical Services Office --->
> Management Office --->
>
> Lets say each one of those '--->' represent a router, all connecting to the
> server room where the DHCP server is.

Now, my knowledge is a bit rusty here, but I believe the preferable way to do
this would actually be to use VLANs on switches to segment these offices, so
instead of the  ----> representing a unique routers, they would represent
unique switches (or a single core switch) that would all aggregate at a
central router.   You configure the port that a particular machine connects
to to be on a certain VLAN, and all that traffic is handled at a layer 2
level (mac addresses).   For example, say in my office I have one particular
computer that needs to effectively be part of the Accounting subnet rather
than networking.  I can plug it into the same switch in my office with all
the Networking computers, then configure the port to be on the Accounting
VLAN.  Now it picks up an IP from the Accounting subnet.

The router is actually handling the level 3 task of dealing with IPs, the
switch is only concerned with MAC addresses. Communicating or not
communicating between the VLANS  is handled by the router.

Like I said, I'm rusty on this, so I'm sure there's some details regarding
where the DHCP server sits in all this that I'm not understanding, but where
I work we effectively employ a setup similar set to what I think you're
trying to accomplish, so I'd be happy to help where I can.

~~~Nicoya...