[Techtalk] Agfan Women

Sharon Stock sharon at technolope.org
Tue Oct 9 14:55:03 EST 2001

I would guess that this *has* been floating around for a while... in the
"Statement" portion (below) it says "Women's Rights is not a
small issue anywhere and it is UNACCEPTABLE for women in 1998 to be treated as
sub-human and so much as property."

The point about something like this being ineffective is well made. I can
understand that the intention is good, but the method won't accomplish much.
(I'm still surprised thatthe Statement date wasn't updated.)

Thank you Jenn for the breakthechain.org link; I wasn't aware of that site. I
receive many chains (often due to well meaning friends who use email for
relaxation/entertainment and not for work) and have often just deleated
anything that smacks of one.

Take care all,
Sharon

Jennifer Davis wrote:

> I remember seeing this petition (many times) before and stumpled across
> references to it on hoax sites.  At work I will send information about
> hoaxes to people who forward on information without thinking critically
> about it.  This is a write-up on a site called breakthechain.org.
>
> I apologise for the length of this post....most of it is examples of
> this email.
>
> Jenn
>
> *************
> STATEMENT:
>
> In signing this, we agree that the current treatment of women in
> Afghanistan is completely UNACCEPTABLE and deserves support and action by
> the people of the United States and the U.S. Government and that the
> current situation overseas will not be tolerated. Women's Rights is not a
> small issue anywhere and it is UNACCEPTABLE for women in 1998 to be
> treated as sub-human and so much as property. Equality and human decency
> is a RIGHT not a freedom, whether one lives in Afghanistan or the United
> States.*****
>
> --

Real programmers don't document. If it was hard to write, it should be hard to
understand.