[Techtalk] mac os x

Michelle Murrain michelle at murrain.net
Fri Oct 5 11:21:34 EST 2001

As a long time Mac user, as well as a user of Linux for about 5 years now,
I'm trying to figure out whether it's worth it for me to embrace OS X. I
love it that it's a nice interface on a great Unix based OS. But it's
really slow, even on a G3 333 with 320 Meg of memory, especially when
running classic apps. When I've used it my mac, it's been primarily in OS
9.1 because so few apps are native at this point.

My question: If I don't really *need* aqua, and although I like it, it
doesn't really do much for me, why not slap Linux PPC on the box, drop in
Maconlinux to run the (very few) mac apps I still need, and leave it at
that? For those of you who have spent lots of time with OS X and Linux,
what's the advantage (until, of course, lots of apps go native - there
probably will be apps that will be native for OS X, before being ported to
Linux).

.Michelle
Michelle Murrain
michelle at murrain.net