[Fwd: [Techtalk] Complete mail solution]

Dave Petrie dave at cybearden.net
Thu Oct 4 07:19:28 EST 2001

Kath,

I got your note via a friend.  If group scheduling is a requirement (a
feature of both Lotus and Exchange), then the field is pretty limited:
 Lotus, Exchange, iPlanet, Novell Groupwise.

If group scheduling is NOT a requirement, I'd suggest looking at an
email appliance from a company called "Mirapoint"
(http://www.mirapoint.com).  Their email appliance includes support for
SMTP, POP3, IMAP4, WebMail, WAPMail (i.e.- from cellphones), anti-virus
scanning, LDAP (Lightweight Directory Access Protocol), personal
calendar (no group scheduling).  It all comes in a single 'applicance'
like box that can be administered via a command line, a web interface,
or a GUI Java client.

I've been working with them as mail routers (not so much as a mail
server) for a large automotive company, and  I'm pretty impressed with them.

Under the hood (which you can't really see from the Admin Interfaces) is
FreeBSD with a modified version of Sendmail, Apache, their own
IMAP/Mailbox service, OpenLDAP, RAID disk, redundant power supplies, and
etc.  They're rated @ about 1.2M messages/per day max... (about 5-700K
w/ virus scanning)...

Dave Petrie

    _ dave at cybearden.net