[Techtalk] List Acting Weird?

Mary Gardiner linuxchix at puzzling.org
Wed Oct 3 09:01:11 EST 2001

On Tue, Oct 02, 2001 at 10:57:22AM -0700, Kai MacTane wrote:
> >Hi. This is the qmail-send program at crimson-moon.com.
> >I'm afraid I wasn't able to deliver your message to the following
> addresses.
> >This is a permanent error; I've given up. Sorry it didn't work out.
> >
> ><techtalk at linuxchix.org>:
> >216.126.84.1 does not like recipient.
> >Remote host said: 550 5.1.1 <techtalk at linuxchix.org>... User unknown
> >Giving up on 216.126.84.1.
>
> 216.126.84.1 resolves to "hub.org".
>
> If I re-send the messages that are bounced, they seem to go through fine on
> the second or third attempt. Does anyone know what's up here?

Deb Richardson's old name servers are still authorative for the domain
linuxchix.org, due to her having lost her email address which network
solutions has for her, and being unable to update her records for the domain
(last time we had this discussion, people made all kinds of suggestions about
how to deal with Network Solutions in this situation, I don't know how many
Deb tried).

The mail exchanger setup for linuxchix.org looks like:
$ host -t MX linuxchix.org
linuxchix.org           MX      20 mail.trends.ca
linuxchix.org           MX      0 mail.linuxchix.org
linuxchix.org           MX      10 mail.hub.org

and sometimes mail.linuxchix.org doesn't resolve. mail.hub.org seems not to be
set up to be a secondary for linuxchix.org

In this case I deal with Phil Schwan, the technical contact for the domain.
The last response I got from his is that he saw mail.linuxchix.org resolving
just fine, and so do I at the moment. I may ask him to remove the other two
servers, since they clearly are no longer secondaries (a secondary will sit on
the mail, and forward when it can, not bounce it), or I may ask him to delete
the MX all together, so it will rely on the A record.

Keep in mind that Phil has nothing to do with Linuxchix, he is a friend of
Deb's who is doing us a big favour.

-Mary.

--
Mary Gardiner