[Techtalk] non-winmodem PC cards

Terri Oda terri at hole.zone12.com
Sun Nov 25 21:56:20 EST 2001

> I need a PC card modem for my laptop that is running Mandrake 8. Luckily,
> it recognizes the internal ethernet card, but, obviously, doesn't recognize
> the modem, and from the research I've done, my modem isn't on the list of
> modems that linmodem works with.
>
> Does anyone know of a good PC card modem (or combo card, if necessary) that
> has regular modem circuitry? Red Hat's hardware list was unhelpful, and I
> know that recently some manufacturers (like Linksys) have moved their PC
> card modems to winmodems.

You've probably long found a good card, but on the off chance someone else
here's looking, I've had great luck with a linksys etherfast 10/100 + 56k
modem.  It even says it supports Linux on the back of the box. :)  It's been
greally grat for me.  Don't know if they still make them, though -- I got it
quite a while ago.