[Techtalk] Server was broken into ... what good tools are there to probe vulnerabilities?

jenn at simegen.com jenn at simegen.com
Thu Nov 22 09:48:32 EST 2001

Raven, corporate courtesan wrote:

>> The main reason I don't run the server at home is because of
>> bandwidth, and because I'd rather have hackers breaking into systems
>> *outside* of my home network. Of course, with only 300 MB transferred
>> per month, a 384 connection might not be too bad.
>
> 	Sorry to be the bearer of a wet blanket.  But it just isn't a
> friendly Internet anymore.  If you host your server at home, set it up
> in a DMZ if you can, and limit the trust between the machines on your
> home network and your server.  There should be a firewall between them,
> at the least.

Get a couple of cheap 486s, install one of the *BSDs with a built in
firewall. (Ok, Linux can do it too.) Put one between your server and
the Internet. Put the other between your server and the rest of your
home network.

That puts your server as much outside your home network as it *really*
is hosted elsewhere.

Read up on firewall configuration, and/or ask the list for firewall
configuration help & tips on where to find good configuration info.
(I don't know off the top off my head, and I'm prepping to go to work,
or I'd look up places and give addresses. Sorry.)

Jenn V.

jenn at simegen.com     Jenn Vesperman     http://www.simegen.com/~jenn/