[Techtalk] Server was broken into ... what good tools are there to probe vulnerabilities?

jennyw jennyw at dangerousideas.com
Wed Nov 21 13:27:20 EST 2001

When you say privileges, do you mean file system privileges? Or just that it
gives access to a lot of running processes?

The only thing running as nobody on this system is httpd. Everything else is
running as root (yay!).

I'm not happy about this last, but sendmail is what they use for an mta, and
I believe it needs to run as root. I guess I should read a security book and
see how to set stuff to run as other users. So complicated ... all I want to
do is setup Web sites! And DNS. And IMAP. Okay, maybe I need to read up on
security a bit ...

Jen