[Techtalk] Server was broken into ... what good tools are there to probe vulnerabilities?

Jeff Dike jdike at karaya.com
Wed Nov 21 16:59:35 EST 2001

raven at oneeyedcrow.net said:
> They can be, yah.  That's why I specified backups of data, and no
> binaries.  (Read: nothing executable.  Check all your scripts, too.)
> That lessens your risk of having a backdoor on there

Backdoors aren't the problem I was thinking of (but consider scripts which
may not be in executable files).  I was considering the possibility of an
important database (i.e. accounts, financial ones) being tampered with.

That seems not to be a problem here.  Eyeballing the data (if it's small
enough to do without the eyeball glazing over) is probably good.  Any other
sanity checks you can make on the data are also good.

				Jeff