[Techtalk] Allow all relays through sendmail

Brian Sweeney bsweeney at physics.ucsb.edu
Tue Nov 20 10:06:20 EST 2001

I will add myself to the long list of people saying...DON'T OPEN RELAY.
  Not ONLY are you allowing your own system to be abused, you're giving
spammers a way to get to other people.  To me, Running an open relay is
pretty irresponsible without a REALLY good reason.  And I've yet to hear
one ;-).

> My usual solution in a case like this would be to set up POP-before-SMTP
> relaying: when a user successfully authenticates via POP, their IP
> address is added to /etc/mail/access, and makemap is run to re-compile
> /etc/mail/access.db. The IP is retained for N minutes, where the usual
> value for N is 15.

That's what I used to do as well. However, several people I work with
have had lots of success with SMTP AUTH.  It's incorporated into a lot
of mail clients nowadays (Pine, Netscape/Mozilla, Outlook/Outlook
Express).  There's a list of clients on sendmail's site that support it
currently, along with what encryption they support.

An excerpt from Sendmail's site
(http://www.sendmail.org/~ca/email/auth.html):

	SMTP AUTH allows relaying for senders who have successfully

	authenticated themselves. Per default, relaying is allowed

	for any user who authenticated via a trusted mechanism, i.e.,

	one that is defined via TRUST_AUTH_MECH(`list of mechanisms')
	This is useful for roaming users and can replace

	POP-before-SMTP hacks if the MUA supports SMTP AUTH.

The list of clients supported is at
http://www.sendmail.org/~ca/email/mel/SASL_ClientRef.html

Like I said, I know of a few people that have this running successfully,
and it's what I'm planning to implement over the next few months.  Right
now, I've got a secure http server serving a web-based interface to my
mailserver, which authenticates and then allows people to send or
receive mail.  Of course, this restricts users to a web-based mail
client, but hey, it works for now =).

Hope you get it working!

-Brian