[Techtalk] Rhat question<problem>

Brian Sweeney bsweeney at physics.ucsb.edu
Mon Nov 19 10:10:44 EST 2001

Judy,

First, if you need the machine working, I'd pull the card out.  If it
fixes the problem, test the card in another (non-production) machine
before putting it back in.  If that's not an option, check the seating
of the card (or other cards) make sure everything's in firmly.

Also, what's generating the error on reboot?  The BIOS? Linux? I'm
afraid I've never heard this error, so I can't be sure, but if it's
being generated BEFORE the kernel's loading, it's probably the BIOS
logging facility.  I'd check there.  If it's the kernel, it really
should be in /var/log/messages I would guess; maybe /var/log/boot.log?

Finally, do you have a boot disk or CD you can try booting from, to see
if that can bring the machine up?

Hope it goes well...

-Brian