[Techtalk] Best components for a new Linux box? (was: Building boxen)

Brian Sweeney bsweeney at physics.ucsb.edu
Mon Nov 19 10:02:17 EST 2001

>>>Ethernet cards are the biggest problem.  My husband just went
>>>through a 2-day ordeal trying to get a new network card (because I
>>>swiped our last spare for my new box).
>>>
>>I've not had problems with Linksys in the past.
>>

> What's a "Linksys"?

Linksys is a manufacturer, like NetGear or Intel (also discussed).  My
pick has always been 3Com.  The 3C905 series have worked great, and
Becker's drivers in linux have always come through for me.  I would
avoid the on-board NICs; I've had problems with packet loss in linux
with any of the on-board Intel NICs I've used.  The 3Com's also work in
Windows environments without a hitch (I've got a few dual-boot
machines).

> As for NetGear, so long as there is only one NIC in the machine
> the NetGear NICs I've used have worked well.  But add a second
> NIC and forget it.

Again, not to sound like a sales rep, but I've configured dual or more
3Com NICS in Linux and WindowsNT without issue.

Good luck,
Brian