[Techtalk] What do you all think?

David Merrill david at lupercalia.net
Wed Nov 14 20:12:15 EST 2001

On Wed, Nov 14, 2001 at 09:59:23PM +1100, Emma Fox wrote:
> Apart from using my Tuxman mug at work and explaining why we have to
> take the Netscape links off our desk tops when the $M$ Foundation
> inspects our labs?  :(  We have linux servers but our clients are all
> strictly windoze.  Any suggestions on how to convert supposedly
> intelligent academics from the dark side of the force are welcome.

I'd say if you possibly can (my network admin won't let me 'cause he
is a major MS/IIS guy*) run Linux on your own workstation. Run Windows
under VMWare if that's a requirement, and pay for it yourself. Let
your coworkers see it. It will sell itself. Or on a server.

I brought the first Linux server into TerraServer, where I was the
lead programmer. Fun project. Learned a bit about satellite
photography and GIS.

It was in a closet, too old to be serviceable, they thought. It is
still running there, and I admin it from here in D. C. via ssh. They
have since installed several more Linux servers because they are the
only servers they aren't fucking with daily. They just run.

Linux sells itself.

	* I do have to credit him with having half a clue about
	security, 'cause I've never even been able to tunnel ssh under
	http to get to my home box. Every port is locked down.