[Techtalk] Best components for a new Linux box? (was: Building boxen)

Rachel Andrew lists at rachelandrew.co.uk
Tue Nov 13 21:20:19 EST 2001

>I had already decided, a bit ago, to build a box. I get this urge about
>once a year, and although I usually learn a lot in the process, I also
>swear off doing it each time after I'm done :-) I'm actually thinking
>about building two this time.

I would be interested in this thread. I've just built a new doze
development machine which went incredibly smoothly. My current Linux box is
an ancient Compaq P133 and I am thinking about building myself a decent
Linux box in order to explore Linux a bit more.

What would be a good spec for Linux box? (I'm not well off so this would
have to be relatively inexpensive components.) I'm very capable of building
the thing I would just like to be sure that the components I get aren't
going to cause problems with support, I have constant battles getting my
current Linux box configured and it would be nice to know that I was
building something that would not be problematic from the outset. I would
be installing Debian and KDE on whatever I get.

Any suggestions? I'd probably go with an Athlon chip but other components I
would really just like to choose those that I know have good support so I'm
starting without causing myself problems. As mentioned, I'll be looking at
the lower end of the price ranges.

TIA

Rachel