[Techtalk] problems when starting kde

Rachel Andrew lists at rachelandrew.co.uk
Tue Nov 6 09:26:03 EST 2001

>If you are not using a USB mouse, go into your /etc/X11/XF86Config-4 (if
>you are using X4, which I presume you are if you're using woody) and
>change the mouse your server is using by default.

No its a bog standard PS2 thing

it seems determined to put /dev/input/mice in there. There appears to be
two lines of mouse configuration stuff in that file "Generic Mouse" and
"Configured Mouse".

If I change them to read the same (correctly) it fails on

(II)XINPUT : Adding extended input device "Generic Mouse" (type: MOUSE)
(II)XINPUT : Adding extended input device "Standard Mouse" (type: MOUSE)

but if I remove either one I get it failing with:

Data incomplete in file /etc/X11/X86Config-4
         Undefined InputDevice "Generic Mouse" referenced by ServerLayout
"Default Layout"

should there be 2 references to the mouse in there? If not what can I do
about it?

TIA

Rachel