[Techtalk] Linux Command Line MS Word -> HTML Converter?

Megan Golding mgolding at secureworks.net
Thu Nov 1 12:12:14 EST 2001

Hello everyone,

I'm looking for a script I can run on a linux box to convert a Word
(*.doc or *.rtf) file into HTML or PDF. Does anyone know of anything
that'll serve this purpose?

I'm building a document repository for a group of people, some of whom
are Windows users. The repository is on a Debian box and is centered
around CVS for version control and revision history. I want to create a
build environment where I can build output in HTML or PDF from the
source files in Word or RTF formats. That's where this script comes in.

Ideally, my Word uses should be able to write, check in, and be done
with their part. The build system should handle building output suitable
for viewing over an intranet. My backup plan, if I cannot locate a Word
-> HTML converter for Linux is to ask my authors to use Word's "Save as
HTML" feature and checkin both source and output. (yuck)

Meg
--

Megan Golding (mgolding at secureworks.net)
SecureWorks, Inc.

Don't worry about the world coming to an end today.
It's already tomorrow in Australia.
  -- Charles M. Schulz