[techtalk] Progeny Debian

Michelle Murrain michelle at murrain.net
Thu May 31 14:26:35 EST 2001

I wanted to give you all a bit of a report on my adventures
(actually, lack thereof) in Laptop Linux land. I just installed
Progeny Debian on my HP Pavilion N5195. It was painless. Totally
painless.

Previously, I'd tried to install Debian potato on this laptop, but
was unable to get both X to work, as well as the PC card. Progeny
detected and did fine with both, no problem. I still haven't gotten
around to configuring my sound - that's next, and there is an
internal ethernet card which is supposed to have drivers available,
but I haven't gotten there yet either. I've commented out the progeny
stuff in my /etc/apt/sources.list, and put in debian testing sources,
and now, except for the vestiges of progeny, am running testing. It's
quite nice.

Also, not to rehash the rpm discussion, but a few things that were
waiting in the wings for me to sit down (for a while) and really deal
with some rpm dependency problems, were set up in a matter of minutes
using apt-get. I'm quite happy leaving the world of rpms behind.

The one minor snag is that at the same time as I did this change, I
decided it would be a great time to change from POP to IMAP, since
both of the servers I get my mail on (my home server and work) can do
IMAP. Problem is, Netscape/Mozilla is the only client that does IMAP
on Linux that I can find (others?). I'm not really a fan of Netscape
Messenger. KMail doesn't do it, and Sylpheed pretends to do it, but
doesn't. So now I'm using my old standby, Eudora on my Mac - running
OS X :-)

Oh, and I got VMWare Express, which works really well - that was a
breeze to install as well.

Michelle