[techtalk] samba help

Paul Hardacre paul.hardacre at btinternet.com
Thu May 31 16:25:46 EST 2001

At 16:15 31/05/2001, Julie wrote:

>From: Paul Hardacre <paul.hardacre at btinternet.com>
> > One thing to check with Windows connecting to samba is that it uses the
> > username from the Client for Microsoft Networks. This one's caught me out
> > few times. There's a file in /etc/samba that you can use to map samba
>users
> > to unix users (if you're using the unix passwd file or possibly PAM to
> > authenticate samba users), or you can go down the route of using an
> > smbpasswd file, or using a PDC to authenticate users. The mapping file is
> > /etc/samba/smbusers, they're in the format "unix_user = samba_user1
> > samba_user2 samba_userx"
>
>I found that it's apparently not using the /etc/samba/smbusers
>file.  I had an entry "jfh = julie".  My Win98 machine was sending
>"julie" to my Linux box and Samba insisted that "julie" didn't
>exist.  I finally created a "julie" user and set its password with
>smbpasswd.
>
>So ... what's wrong with the smbusers file?  This is RedHat 7.1
>incase anyone cares.

Hmmm.. I'm running RH7.1 here too on my box on my desk that I'm connected
to.. Could be the encrypted password problem that Kent mentioned. I don't
recall whether encrypted passwords was enabled or not.. If it was I'd have
instantly disabled it on this box cos I connect from Win95 and I don't
wanna fiddle with it cos it works (for the moment). Not too bothered about
security on this box since it's on a private net anyways. But encrypted
passwords in the smb.conf would be something worth checking.

Hope that helps,

Paul (feeling more awake at last)