[techtalk] bare metal recovery nightmare

Brian Sweeney bsweeney at physics.ucsb.edu
Wed May 30 00:34:23 EST 2001

Hmmm..should've seen this sooner.  Looks like I'm having permissions issues.
Must've dropped a -p flag somewhere.  I changed all the /bin, /sbin, and
/etc permissions appropriately.  Now it boots and I get the following
(RedHat stuff):

(lots of services start ok; sendmail complains 'cause of a permission
problem.  I'll fix that later.)
Starting SMB services:	OK
Starting NMB services:	OK
Starting local

...and it just sits there.  The / fs hard drive seems active, but nothing
else happens.

*ARGH*

I *KNOW* I'm missing something simple.  I'm just really tired and really
frustrated and what should've been a relatively easy system restore (all the
user data was on a different partition, just need /) has turned into an 8
hour fiasco for various reasons.

Thanks in advance,
Brian