[techtalk] programming question... (theory)

Walt pippin at fred.net
Tue May 29 17:35:11 EST 2001

Our company has somewhat of a delimma...

We cannnot seem to find a software
package on the market today to fit our
business' needs, so, we are planning to
have a program written for our organization.

My brother-in-law is a programmer with
almost exclusive experience with Delphi.
Yet, because of my exposure to the general
Linux community, perhaps, or maybe just my
own limited experience, I tend to greatly
prefer C/C++. So, although, we would like to
be able to hire him to do the work, I don't
want to be stuck with Delphi code that I
can't edit or compile without purchasing
Borland's Delphi...

The software would be a server "suite" that
would track physical jobs throughout our shop
based on which barcode scanner they are
scanned at and store that information in a
database that would then be accessible from
client computers. Naturally, I would like the
server-end to reside on a linux box...

What (if any) are the advantages of Delphi
over C++? Vice-a-versa? I understand
Borland's Kylix product is a Delphi development
environment for Linux. Does anyone have
experience with both languages to offer a
comparison?

Appreciate any input!

Thank y'all,
Walt

-~

     The pace of events is moving so fast that unless we can find
     some way to keep our sights on tomorrow, we cannot expect to be
     in touch with today.
                         Dean Rusk