[techtalk] cron.hourly vs cron.daily timing

David Merrill david at lupercalia.net
Tue May 29 15:52:01 EST 2001

I'm configuring webalizer on my machine and am scheduling a cron job
to process the web logs. I need to make sure the processing of web
logs happens *before* the log rotator. The log rotator is called from
a script in cron.monthly, and the log processor is going to be in
cron.hourly (for now).

Can anyone tell me whether scripts in /etc/cron.hourly are guaranteed
to run *before* those in cron.daily, and .daily before .weekly, etc.,
etc.? The manpage for cron doesn't say anything about it.

TIA,

Linux Documentation Project                   david at lupercalia.net
                                       Finger me for my public key

System going down at 1:45 this afternoon for disk crashing.