[techtalk] Sick of surf and porn addicts

Kai MacTane kmactane at GothPunk.com
Tue May 29 12:18:33 EST 2001

At 5/29/01 06:02 AM , James Sutherland wrote:

>The *US* courts, you mean? I'm talking about *EU* law. That's the whole
>point: this is legal in the US, but NOT in the EU. One of the few areas
>the EU has got it right, IMHO - for the most part, I think I prefer the US
>system (2nd amendment, better recognition of the concept of self-defence,
>etc).

Wow -- that's kind of nice to hear. As a US political activist who
generally hangs out with people who are trying to change the system, and
who is often exposed to lots of details about how the system is wrong,
screwed up, poorly optimized or even pessimized... I sometimes need the
reminders that it's still a pretty good system, on the whole. (I
occasionally debate the merits of becoming an expatriate, but then get hung
up on the question of where I'd go that has as strong a Bill of Rights.)

And of course, I sometimes wonder if I just think our system is basically
okay because it's what I've been taught since I was just a wee tot. So,
thanks for the outside input, James. It really does help.

                                                 --Kai MacTane
"Wind in wings,/Two angels falling
  To die like this/With a last kiss..."
                                                 --Siouxsie and the