[techtalk] uptimes ... ;)

bill t qwerty172 at excite.com
Sun May 27 06:30:43 EST 2001

To answer your question.
There is no way to upgrade a kernel without rebooting the machine.

My firewall has been up 127 days. Its not connected to a UPS though and the
last three times it went down was a power failure. I use the power failures
(about once every four months) as excuses to do maintenance on the firewall.

The longest uptime I have seen was a 1.2.13 kernel (Slackware) 486 processor
being used as a DNS server. It started up in 1996 and was retired in Jan
2000 when the power supply went. It was two months shy of 4 years.

Bill