[techtalk] uptimes ... ;)

Almut Behrens almut_behrens at yahoo.com
Sun May 27 15:17:19 EST 2001

On Sun, May 27, 2001 at 11:09:13AM +0100, James Sutherland wrote:

> LOL! You could try porting the login script my friend has - it tracks the
> top 10 uptimes on the network, and this machine's position in the chart.
> The highest listed is slightly under 203 days, on a 2.0 kernel; no 2.4
> boxes listed yet...

in my home LAN I have an old 2.0.36 system with an uptime of currently
181 days -- seems to have been a particularly stable kernel version.
I've had many Netscape Navigators running wild and trying to crash it,
but I still always somehow managed to have it survive...
This is the system I can always return to when I messed up everything
else, but need to get something done. What a nice and warm feeling!

And just in case you were wondering: 181 days ago, there was a power
outage which my UPS wasn't able to smooth away ;)

BTW, does anyone know of a way to upgrade the kernel while keeping
uptimes?
... a question, the heart of which only real geeks do understand :)

- Almut  (being silly today)