[techtalk] Re: rpms r bad?

Telsa Gwynne hobbit at aloss.ukuu.org.uk
Sat May 26 13:45:09 EST 2001

On Sat, May 26, 2001 at 10:24:40AM +0100 or thereabouts, Conor Daly wrote:
> The thing that gets me with rpm is the way I cannot query an uninstalled
> package to see what's there...

> isn't installed, do an rpm -ql package-0.1.3.9-i386.rpm and I get back
> "pagkage is not installed"  I KNOW it's not installed, that's why I'm
> trying to look inside for the proggie I need.

rpm -qlp /mnt/cdrom/whatever/.../package-0.1.3.9-i306.rpm
       ^

the rpm -q[il]p combination is very useful.

rpm --help | more
   -q, --query             - query mode
      Package specification options:
        -a, --all          - query all packages
        -f <file>+         - query package owning <file>
        -p <packagefile>+  - query (uninstalled) package <packagefile>
        --triggeredby <pkg> - query packages triggered by <pkg>
        --whatprovides <cap> - query packages which provide <cap> capability
        --whatrequires <cap> - query packages which require <cap> capability

There is also some package on powertools which you can install which
has all the data so you can do it without the p or something. I always
forget its name and have never used it so I don't know how useful it
is.

Telsa