[techtalk] Re: rpms r bad?

Daniel Manrique roadmr at entropia.com.mx
Fri May 25 16:52:22 EST 2001

> The advantage of compiling from source is that you get to change compile
> time options to meet your personal needs.  For example, I have to change
> where sudo logs to meet Agency standards, so I cannot use the rpm.  I also

You could always make a custom RPM :) get the sudo source RPM, modify the
spec file to your taste, rebuild from that.

> I'm not going to comment on apt-get.  I haven't run Debian at home, and the
> Agency I support is not at all open to changing distros, so I simply don't
> know it.  I know people have a strong preference for it, and I, too, would
> be curious to know if it's really a technical advantage or just a "Debian
> is so cool" type thing.

Some debianite will have to correct me, but as I understand, debian has a
package managing tool (dpkg). apt-get is basically a front-end with all
that cool functionality us red hat users envy a bit. heh.

dpkg and rpm are comparable; but apt-get works on top of the package
manager; proof of this is the fact that the Conectiva Linux people have
modified apt-get to work with their RPM-based distro. apt-get fetches
packages and resolves dependencies and then invokes the underlying package
manager to do the actual work.

Other than that, i think the closest there is under red hat systems is
ximian's red carpet...

	- Roadmaster

*
Save a tree- use E-Mail!			roadmr at entropia.com.mx