[techtalk] Re: rpms r not-so-good and Linux-Mandrake

Martin.Caitlyn at epamail.epa.gov Martin.Caitlyn at epamail.epa.gov
Fri May 25 17:37:49 EST 2001

Hi, Brian, and everyone else,

> Well, when RedHat's up2date software (the things that links into their
> RedHatNetwork; sounds similar to the above functionality) actually WORKS,
> it's pretty cool.  Problem is, about half the time it's down :(.

I've found mandrake-update works incredibly well, and is almost always up.
It too, makes things very, very simple.

You know, I have to chuckle at the folks who are calling Mandrake a "newbie
distro".  All the Linux geeks here at work (some of whom have been around
since Yggdrasil or even 0.x kernels) either run Mandrake, KRUD, or both.
Methinks there is a significant amount of Debian snobbishness floating
around, not too unlike the Gnome vs. KDE desktop wars.  Why a distro has to
be un-user friendly to be cool is beyond me, and that certainly is Debian's
reputation.  Ditto Slackware, which I have run and like pretty well.

Regards,
Cait

Caitlyn M. Martin             martin.caitlyn at epa.gov
Systems Analyst              (919) 541-4441
Lockheed Martin
(a contractor for the US EPA)