[techtalk] Re: rpms r not-so-good.

ktb ktb at nixnotes.org
Fri May 25 12:05:36 EST 2001

On Fri, May 25, 2001 at 12:48:24PM -0400, Walt wrote:
> Raven quoth (sorry :-):
> >     Apt-get will update a package's dependencies intelligently.  So if
> >you need a bunch of new crypt libraries with your SSH or SSL, apt get
> >will tell you that, and often get them for you.
>
> Sounds like apt-get has RPM's basic functionality
> combined with some of the neat features from
> Ximian's Red-Carpet...
>
> Thank you, I had wondered about the compiling vs.
> RPMS thing for some time and it seems that a lot
> (/. as well as people on here) of folks prefer apt-
> get to rpm so I figured there must be reasons.
>
> Still... not sure if that's enough to make me
> switch to Debian on my next install or not. :-)

It is so much nicer to -
# apt-get update
# apt-get upgrade
Which downloads, installs security updates and restarts any services
upgraded...

...than run around messing with rpm security updates.

Course it takes a little more effort with debian to install some packages
due to licensing issues.  There are tradeoffs, it's really what you want
and often you don't know the answer to that until you try something
new.
kent

--
 From seeing and seeing the seeing has become so exhausted