[techtalk] Delurk - RH 6.2 question

Malcolm Tredinnick malcolm at commsecure.com.au
Fri May 25 13:40:58 EST 2001

On Fri, May 25, 2001 at 12:28:50AM -0400, Stephanie Maksylewich wrote:

> I've been using Linux at work for almost two years, using Red Hat 5.1 to run
> a relational database system called D3 (formerly Pick).  I'm the 'system
> administrator', 'network administrator' and also make up the entire IT
> department, programming staff, etc etc. so like everyone else I'm short on
> time and while things aren't 'broke' I usualy don't try fixing them...
>
> But I'd like to get a little caught up with the rest of the Linux world, so
> I'm trying out 6.2 (got it cheap) to see if our version of D3 works ok with
> that before I order the latest version.  (The release of D3 we have claims
> it works with Red Hat 5.0 only, but I'm hoping they're just being over
> cautious.)

I don't have much of a clue about the problem you mentioned below, but
here's a warning about your grand plan: the main change from RH 5.x to
RH 6.x was the C library changed from libc5 to glibc2. This was huge
change at the time and requires relinking all the affected programs.

So you are probably going to need to have all the RH 5.1 C -libraries
under your knew installation and get D3 to pick them up for it to work.

Just in case you didn't know this. :)

Cheers,
Malcolm

--