[techtalk] It's all done... kind of

Penguina penguina at cosyn.co.nz
Fri May 25 09:09:29 EST 2001

On Thu, 24 May 2001 Martin.Caitlyn at epamail.epa.gov wrote:

> > I can't get my CD rom open.
>
> If you have a disk on there it is probably mounted.  I don't know if SuSe
> uses supermount or not.  In any case, in KDE, right click on the CD-ROM
> icon and you should get a menu with unmount as a choice.  *If* SuSe gives
> user-level permission to mount/unmount the CD-ROM you should just be able
> to click on unmount in that menu and you will then be able to open your
> CD-ROM.  I've never used SuSe, so I really don't know what their default
> level configuration is like.
>
> The other, old fashioned, way to unmount a CD-ROM is at the command line.
> The command is *probably* just:
>
> umount /mnt/cdrom

On SuSE, the default mount point for the cdrom is /cdrom not /mnt/cdrom
so the command would be

umount /cdrom

If the device is not busy, "eject" will generally works as well.

One thing I've found is that if a process dies an unnatural death
while doing cdrom i/o, that "device busy" state never gets cleaned
up--and hence, umount and eject will fail.

The thing to do here, is first see if you have any shells that have
/cdrom as the top of its current working directory.  Then see if any
other processes are trying to access the cdrom.  Kill them all and let
cron sort them out.

If you're *still* not able to umount, you can reboot and depress
the "release me" button on the cdrom drive before the system gets
a chance to start diddling with the cdrom drive.  If THAT doesn't
work, shutdown and power off  and then try manually ejecting the
thing by sticking an unbent paperclip into the little hole on the
front of the cdrom drive.

> If SuSe does not use supermount you will have to
> remount any new CD you put
> in the drive.  The process is just the same as unmounting (i.e.:  mount
> /mnt/cdrom).

No supermount in SuSE.  And since the default mount point for the cdrom
in SuSE is /cdrom, that would be

mount /cdrom

Cheryl