[techtalk] SCSI/IDE/booting...the other thread

Brian Sweeney bsweeney at physics.ucsb.edu
Thu May 24 10:19:21 EST 2001

Yes, but pretty I am not. ;)

> Quite possible: booting is controlled by the BIOS. You can set the BIOS to
> try booting from SCSI first, which is what your friend has probably done.

Yeah, I did tell the bios to boot SCSI first.  Still was getting the LI fun.

> You need to tell LILO about this change; adding the following lines to
> lilo.conf should do that:
>
> disk=/dev/sda
> 	bios=0x81
> disk=/dev/hda
> 	bios=0x80
>
> (from "man lilo.conf")
>
> and re-run lilo.

(Brian blushes horribly as he realizes that in the course of pouring through
web stuff on this problem, the one place he DIDN'T look was the man page.
He smacks himself upside the head).

Thanks James; sorry I didn't see that.  I'll give it a shot.

-Brian