[techtalk] SMP kernels and ISO images ...

Mark Foster blakjak at blakjak.net
Thu May 24 15:06:37 EST 2001

Youre probably going to have this problem across the board.
When setting up your partitions, you best set up /boot - at about 15 megs -
as an individual partition to the rest of your system.
That'll solve the problem.

With a disk that large, if its dedicated to linux, you could almost have 2G
each for /var, /home, /bin etc and not notice. :P

I think youd find youd probably have problems like this regardless of which
version redhat you use. I had interesting problems booting redhat on a
single-partition 10 G system so wound up dividing up the filesystem.

[admin at rhino admin]$ df -h
/dev/hda6             2.0G   58M  1.8G   3% /
/dev/hda1              15M  7.5M  6.5M  53% /boot
/dev/hda11             11G  196M   10G   2% /home
/dev/hda7             2.0G  411M  1.5G  21% /usr
/dev/hda5             2.0G   17M  1.9G   1% /var
/dev/hda8            1008M   12M  945M   1% /var/log
/dev/hda9            1008M   89M  868M   9% /var/spool/squid
[admin at rhino admin]$

Thats how mines divides up on a 10 gig drive.  Maybe you need to try
something similar?

(Oh, and another useful thing - remember to install using text mode.. I
think RH6.1's GUI install was a bit funny? Twas my experience anyway)

-.-. --.-
Mark Foster - markf at intermech.co.nz
IT Manager, Intermech Ltd
+64-21-499-368 / +64-9-525-2220