[techtalk] Hi.I'm new.Postfix/mail server questions...

Elizabeth moiraine at qwest.net
Mon May 21 20:15:53 EST 2001

Michelle Murrain wrote:

> On Monday 21 May 2001 05:10 pm, Elizabeth wrote:
>
> > I'm programming the site as well as administering.  I've purused the
> > webmail offerings.  I will definately check into these two suggestions.
> > I like simplicity though, so I will most likely program the webmail
> > portion my self.  I just need a good server.  The rest is easy...hehe  I
> > already can send mail...just not recieve...thus the server questions.
> > Well, I can recieve, but only users who are entered into /etc/passwd.
>
> OK, well here you go:
>
> qpopper is a good all purpose POP server: http://www.eudora.com/qpopper/
> http://www.imap.org/products/longlist.htm#Server is a list of IMAP servers -
> the generic one is the UWash server.

Thanks for the links.

> In terms of programming the web mail itself - I guess you can go that way,
> and it certainly can be a great learning experience - but the web mail
> clients out there (like SquirrelMail) are really good, and easy to set up.
> But, if you've got lots of time - more power to you.

:-)  I'm a junior majoring in Comp Sci as well as Physics.  I also have
an assoc in Comp Tech.  I got the assoc from a small trade school.
There
were ten people in my graduating class.  I was the only girl.  Good and
bad.
hehe.
I love Perl. Programming in general is a major love for me.  I'm a big
geek...what can I say.
Perl has many modules that make web stuff pretty easy to do, like
sending mail.
There's only one script that creates the form then once the form is
submitted
it runs again to send the message.  Here's the code to send an email.
"smtp" can
also be mail or sendmail, but smtp is the easiest and the most portable.

  my $mailer = new Mail::Mailer ( "smtp" );

  $mailer->open( {
    To   => $sendto,
    From => $email,
    Subject => $subj