[techtalk] OpenSSH Trusted Host Setup Question

Pete Durst pdurst at bigfoot.com
Mon May 21 20:57:55 EST 2001

Hi,

	I would like to be able to setup up a trusted host environment on my home
network (behind the firewall!) and one of the machines I am using, does not
support .rhosts files.  That's ok, as I want to be able to setup SSH to do
the work any ways, so I set out to try and setup the systems to do "trusted
hosts" logins (without requiring a password).  The first thing that I did
was make sure all of the machines are running the same software, and as far
as I can tell, it is OpenSSH_2.5.2p2.  Then I got really confused.  I can
not make heads or tails out of the setup.  I went through the .shosts and
.rhosts stuff for days, then realized that there is some implication that
only ssh version 1 will use this.  The ssh version 2 setup is even more
confusing.

	So, having no shame at all, I am a man that is quite willing to ask for
directions.  Could any one of you quite nice people be kind enough to show
me a step by step on setting up trusted hosts in an OpenSSH environment?

Thanks!

Pete Durst
Pete Durst

Sun Certified System Administrator