[techtalk] Raid 1+0?

s h ruthia at sarth.com
Mon May 21 16:29:33 EST 2001

Michelle Murrain <mpm at norwottuck.com> wrote:
>I've heard about RAID 0 (striping) and 1 (mirroring) and 5 (parity)

I think what you may be referring to as RAID-5 is actually RAID-4.
RAID-4 is a stripe set with a single dedicated parity disk.  RAID-5 is
similar to RAID-4 in that it is a stripe set with striped parity.  Data
gets striped across each drive, and each individual disk has parity bits
from all of the other drives.  Erm.  I didn't describe that very
clearly, but that's the best I can do without drawing pictures or
something :)