[techtalk] Re: techtalk digest, Vol 1 #480 - 6 msgs

Joseph Barney jbarneyut at yahoo.com
Mon May 21 08:46:36 EST 2001

Thanks for the link - I'm going to try to upgrade my
kernel asap.  I tried upgrading it to 2.4 this morning
but that didn't work -  so I'll try the latest of the
2.2.x series.

>I believe there were problems with a recent 2.2
>kernel.
>I think it was up to and including 2.2.16 but I'm
>sure
>someone else here will know for sure . There are
>release
>notes for the 2.2 series which include security
>notes at
>http://www.linux.org.uk/ linked from the front page.

>Again, someone else will know for sure, but I think
>the
>reason I can't use dcc behind our firewall is that it

>blocks UDP packets, and dcc uses UDP. Can you use
>tools
>like the instant messenger programs? (which also use
>UDP,
>I gather?)

Yup - I can ise Licq, Gaim, Everybuddy (yahoo and msn)
and I can receive DCC files on IRC.

>I'm a bit confused. You started by mentioning IRC and
>the subject specifically mentions that. Are you
>talking
>about an IRC server (and one which you are running?)
>and
>client, or merely two machines at home, one of which
>is a
>server and so on?

I basically use the Caldera box for everything.  I use
the web, email, newsgroups, the whole speal - I can
even boot into windows and play a game of
CounterStrike online.  IRC is the only thing giving me
problems right now.  Thanks!

Joe