[techtalk] PWM grouping windows

Almut Behrens almut_behrens at yahoo.com
Mon May 21 04:53:46 EST 2001

On Sun, May 20, 2001 at 01:50:28PM -0500, ktb wrote:
> Someone mentioned the window manager PWM the other day.  There is an
> option in pwm.conf for grouping Netscape.  I was wondering if anyone has
> gotten any other applications to group like xterm or gnome-terminal?
> I've tried various instances of -
>  winprop "Xterm.xterm" {
>     frame 10
>  }
> but can't get any of them to work.

Hi,

just tried PWM ... wow! it's simply great. Up to the very moment I've
been a real fan of wmx [1], but this one seems to be even better!
Thanks Mary for mentioning it :)

As to your grouping problem, Kent, I think it's simply "XTerm.xterm"
(note the capital T) -- at least that works for me. In case of doubt
about a window's class/instance properties, just use xprop(1) (and
look for WM_CLASS).

- Almut

[1] wmx-6: http://www.all-day-breakfast.com/wmx/
(just in case someone wants to try another simplistic wm)