[techtalk] My bad NT day

Scott scott at talon.net
Sat May 19 11:36:40 EST 2001

On Sat, 19 May 2001, Angela Nash wrote:
> If the second box running SP2 was hacked, check your permissions.  Sounds
> like you have a configuration problem somewhere.

I checked all the permissions on all files.  I rescanned the event logs
and it appears that the asp.dll file is corrupt.  Still can not see the
other boxes on the network.  I will most likely restore it today to pre
SP2 status.

> We run OpenBSD as our firewall, and have for a while.  It's easy to setup
> and use and works very well.  The syntax for configuring it is very easy.
> Our OpenBSD system also handles our NAT translation.  We have 32 public IPs
> that we translate to 32 private IPs.  It also runs Snort intrustion
> detection, Apache for our web, and soon qmail for mail.

I am not sure which route to go yet as all I am doing is sharing a 56k
modem.  Was running a web server and would like to again to screw around,
but that is it.  The machine will only do sharing and firewall.

> The only other system I'd run as a firewall is Debian with a cron job set to
> do an apt-get update/upgrade off the security server every night.  But, if
> you want a real hassle free system check out OpenBSD.  Compare the number of
> exploit fixes released for it compared to the Linux systems.  They do a lot
> of proactive work.

I read on the OpenBSD site that they have gone 4 years without a hole in
the default install.  I have not used BSD in a few years, might take some
getting used to again.

Still considering.

-sap