[techtalk] My bad NT day

Scott scott at talon.net
Sat May 19 07:55:20 EST 2001

So, yesterday was not a good NT day for me.  First off, the server that I
develop on at work had Service Pack #2 installed on it Thursday.  Friday
morning and IIS and SQL Server stopped working.  The machine can browse
the web and that is about it.  Can not see other machines in the network
and is basically a glorified web browser at the moment.

I also have a Win 2K machine at home doing Internet Connection Sharing on
my 56k modem.  I come home to find it hacked into.  This machine is also
running SP2 and all the MS security and hot fixes that apply.  I run IIS
on it for fun and the modem to share internet, that is it.  They managed
to break into the machine and do some damage.  It is now in total safe
mode-powered off.

I set up Linux to do my internet connection sharing for now.  Does anyone
have experience using OpenBSD as a firewall?  Or even, securing up a
decent Linux box to share a modem connection and do firewall chores.

Thanks,

-sap