[techtalk] newbie

jenn at simegen.com jenn at simegen.com
Sat May 19 08:22:26 EST 2001

Caitlyn Martin wrote:

> Hi, Sue,
>
>> Hope I'm not intruding.  I have just joined the group because I'm looking
>> for help/assistance/support/etc.
>
> Welcome!  You're not intruding.  We're here to help.

Help, assistance and support is part of what we're here for. :)

>> I've been a PC user on Microsoft software for 12 years and I'm wanting to
>> make the switch to linux on my home pc.
>

> There will be a learning curve, and you'll probably hate the change for a
> week or so.  Then, once you get used to things, you'll wonder how you ever
> managed with that Microsoft stuff :)

I'll second this. I've scanned what the others have said and have
little to add, but will ask a question:

1. Are you connecting this machine to the Internet, and if so, are
you behind a firewall? (do you know what a firewall is? Have I hit you
with jargon?)
2. Do you trust the people who live in/visit your house with your
computer?

I'm asking these questions so we can make recommendations with
security. If the answers are 'no' and 'yes' (in that order), just
accept whatever the default security configurations are for the
moment.

If not, go for a slightly higher level of security then come tell us
which level you chose on which distribution, and what your security
concerns are, and those of us who use the same distro will tell you
what *they* would do.

In either case, you might want to read my security articles[1] to find
out what the issues are, then come back to the lists to get help or
recommendations on how to do whatever you decide to do.
Note that my articles aren't finished yet - there are two missing - but
I'm not /currently/ aware of any other resource that's as careful to
avoid (or explain) jargon. (If anyone is, let me know? I'll link to it
from the articles)

Jenn V.
[1] Available at http://www.cyber.com.au/users/jenn/

jenn at simegen.com     Jenn Vesperman     http://www.simegen.com/~jenn/