[techtalk] Feel good

Scott scott at talon.net
Fri May 18 09:46:40 EST 2001

If you are running Linux or anything other than Win 2K this morning, feel
good about your choice.  This is an email thread on the Win2K bug track
email list this morning.

NOTE: before applying Windows 2000 SP2, our system (W2K DC running Exchg2K &
MS Proxy Client 2.0) ran FLAWLESSLY for months.
Symptoms:
When applying Windows 2000 SP2 to the Windows 2000 SP1 (+ PSP) DC, DNS
errors appeared, AD tools (at server) became unavailable, and Exchange 2000
would not start.
Cause:
After three days of troubleshooting, I narrowed the problem down to MS Proxy
Client 2.0 and Service Dependencies referring to NTLMSSP. If ANY, and I mean
"ANY", service makes reference to:
DependOnService: NTLMSSP
DNS bombs and Exchange 2000 refuses to start.
Removing "DependOnService: NTLMSSP" from ALL Services making references to
it, allows both DNS and Exchange 2000 to START, but internet access is NOT
available for ports 25 &110 (Wspcfg.ini) - thus, prevents SMTP & POP3 from
functioning.
Resolution:
Had to do a "Complete System Restore" in order to get system back to it's
original (SP1) state.
Anyone else encountering similar problems?