[techtalk] window manager preference?

Paul Hardacre paul.hardacre at btinternet.com
Fri May 18 11:23:49 EST 2001

At 11:01 18/05/2001, Conor Daly wrote:

<snip>

>OK console heads...  I use console (well, xterms) almost exclusively
>myself.  The reason I use terms rather than the consoles is I can get more
>onto the screen.  Like, an 80x25 char display on a 19" monitor is not the
>most efficient use of real estate.  I'm writing this in a 124x47
>gnome-terminal and can read all the all of the subject lines in mutt.  So
>now, the point of these ramblings...  Can I set the console to 128x50 or
>something like that?  Had a look at stty but couldn't find anything
>helpful there.

I've seen it done using the vga parameters in lilo.conf. I've never really
tried it myself.. My linux box at home only has a 9" vga screen so there's
not much I can do with that.. I tend to work using ssh most of the time myself.

Just yanked this out of the lilo.conf man page:

        vga=mode
               This  specifies  the  VGA  text mode that should be
               selected when booting.  The  following  values  are
               recognized (case is ignored):

               normal: select normal 80x25 text mode.

               extended (or ext): select 80x50 text mode.

               ask: stop and ask for user input (at boot time).

               <number>:   use the corresponding text mode. A list
               of available modes can be obtained by booting  with
               vga=ask  and pressing [Enter].

               If  this  variable is omitted, the VGA mode setting
               contained in the kernel image is used. (And that is
               set at compile time using the SVGA_MODE variable in
               the kernel Makefile, and can later be changed  with
               the rdev(8) program.)

Try using ask and see what it gives you.. :)

Hope that helps, (And that the mail server here at work doesn't object too
strongly to relaying this for me :))

Paul