[techtalk] (dumb) Solaris Q

Nicole Zimmerman colby at wsu.edu
Thu May 17 09:42:32 EST 2001

I know this isn't a linux question, but this is one of the few places I
feel safe asking those silly questions :o)

I installed Solaris (8, the x86 version) on a box at work. I have unix
experience and loads of linux experience, but none specifically with
administering a Solaris box. I am having a networking issue.

On the install, it asked if I'd like to use DHCP networking -- I said yes.
When asked what kind of name services I'd like to use, I chose DNS and
entered my LAN's DNS sever (for local name resolution and sending things
to the outside world). In the install, it told me they were not correct (I
assume by trying to resolve something), but I moved on (these DNS' work on
every other machine on the LAN, but they are all linux or windows). When
the install finished, no, it couldn't resolve anything using the DNS
entries that work everywhere else. SO I tried going into my
/etc/resolv.conf and changing it to the "old" DNS server, with only
outside-world name resolution. This didn't work either.

Our network is set up with a DHCP server on 192.168.1.2. This is also a
DNS, as is 192.168.168.2 (or so the DHCP server sends on to all other
machines). The machine in question can get an IP and it can ping things
directly by their IP (outside or inside of the LAN), it just can't
resolve. The one machine that is static and using the external DNS (other
than the Solaris box) can ping and resolve (just not the local name
resolution, obvoiusly).

There aren't any typos in the resolv.conf, I had my husband check :o)

So, my questions:
Is there something I have to do after I change the name servers in the
resolv.conf to make the OS "aware" of these changes? This does not seem
right to me, but if it fixes the problem, right on.

Why are the DNS' not grabbed from the DHCP server?

Would using a static IP rather than using the DHCP server "fix" anything?

and of course, why isn't it working!?? :o)

Network wouldn't be such a big deal but looking at CDE in 640x480x256 is
tough and I need network to download something better (this is an i810
on-board video machine that generally does not play well with others). I
am thinking it is a DUH problem, but I am all DUHed out for the week (and
it's only Thursday!).

thanks,
-nicole