[techtalk] Parallel port zip drives under RH 7.1 (2.4 kernel change, perhaps)

Caitlyn Martin caitlynmaire at earthlink.net
Thu May 17 11:16:38 EST 2001

Hi, there,

OK, on every distribution I've run with a 2.2 or 2.0 kernel, if the distro
didn't autodetect my zip drive, it was pretty straightforward to add it.  I'd
add the line

alias block-major-8 ppa

to my /etc/conf.modules file, add a /mnt/zip directory, add /dev/sda4 to my
/etc/fstab file as /mnt/zip, and make sure the ppa module was being loaded at
boot time.  Way back when (2.0 kernel distros) you had to rmmod lpd and
insmod ppa.

Well... Red Hat 7.1 didn't setup my zip drive for me the way Mandrake did
recently, so I added the above alias line to my /etc/modules.conf file (yep,
I was aware of that change) and followed the steps above and... the system
tells me that /dev/sda4 is not a recognized device.  ppa is loaded.

I went into Preferences->Information->SCSI in KDE2 and found this:

Attached devices:
Host: scsi0 Channel: 00 Id: 06 Lun: 00
  Vendor: IOMEGA   Model:  ZIP 100           Rev:  D.09
  Type:  Direct-Access                           ANSI SCSI revision: 02

I saw the SCSI ID of 6, but /dev/sda6 doesn't work either.  Obviously, the OS
knows it's there.  How do I make it work?

Feeling stupid today...
Caity

Caitlyn Máire Martin
caitlynmaire at earthlink.net