[techtalk] window manager preference?

Caitlyn Martin caitlynmaire at earthlink.net
Thu May 17 10:27:53 EST 2001

On Thursday 17 May 2001 04:48 am, coldfire wrote:
> i was just curious what the window manager of choice is on this list :) ..

Hi,

On a system with decent resources, definitely KDE 2.1.1.  Very nice, lots of
features and excellent apps, and yet I can easily make it get out of my way.

On anything with less than 48MB of RAM and at least a 166MHz processor,
either icewm or xfce.  I prefer the CDE-like interface of xfce to the
windowsish look of icewm, but the lack of window borders and some of the
window menu features bug me.  IceWM is very easy to configure and very
flexible.  Both are really lightweight without lacking useful features.

FWIW, I have been known to use icewm on a well equipped system as well, and
just run KDE and sometimes GNOME apps on top of it.

Just my two shekels worth...
Caity

Caitlyn Máire Martin
caitlynmaire at earthlink.net